High fuel prices are an unpleasant fact of life for today’s boaters. But taking these six actions conserves fuel without diminishing fun on the water.
1. Tune the engine. Change the oil and spark plugs regularly to ensure top performance.
2. Fresh fuel is always best. Old fuel that has been sloshing around in the tank for months can hurt engine performance.
3. Clean the hull. Scale and growths undermine the boat’s ability to glide through the water, which means the engines burn more fuel.
4. Lighten the load. The more weight the boat carries, the harder the engines work.
5. Check the propellers. Nicks and dents not only rob fuel mileage, they also increase engine wear through excessive vibrations.
6. Plan ahead. Use up-to-date charts and other navigation aids to get from point A to point B as efficiently as possible, and to maintain correct cruising speed and trim angles.
Let Stratum Insurance Agency LLC help you with your watercraft insurance:
Credit to American Modern Ins Group for sharing these tips with boaters.